7 PM, LTC
Meeting called to order at: 7:03.
Approval of minutes
Approval of Apr 2019 minutes: Made and 2nd; approved.
$820.29 balance in account. Suggested donation of $10 is welcome. We donated $100 to Points of Light Celebration.
Lt. Peasley – newly in charge of downtown “Charlie” sector. Dedicated to downtown area only. 23yrs experience including Gang, SWAT, and School Resource Divisions.
- Increase presence in downtown.
- Bike and golf cart/ATV used to get around quickly downtown.
- Younger officers in plain clothes did bar inspections and found no issues.
- Saturation Patrol strategy to increase visibility.
- Strategy to deal with juveniles in large groups on bikes misbehaving. Police working with Juvenile court. Bikes can be seized for 15 days.
- Cluster of 5-6 car breaks on Jackson Street; all involved unlocked vehicles.
- 1 robbery involving an uber driver.
- Agg Assaults: 2 were after school at LHS, others at bars.
Q: Where did the displaced people who used to hang out at TD Bank benches go to?
A: Everywhere else. LPD is working on the homeless issue, but with the shelter here its inescapable.
Roberto Dei, Special Events Coordinator for the City of Lowell, will speak about upcoming events at Kerouac Park – as well as the Lowell Folk Festival.
- Over $25k raised to improve Kerouac park through crown-funding campaign.
- Series of six concerts scheduled for June – August on a new stage. (With food trucks!)
- Yoga, Zumba and Crossfit free classes in the park in mornings.
- Concrete games in the park. Chess pieces, Ping-Pong paddles, etc. for the games are available at Mill City Clothing on Bridge Street.
More information at http://likelowell.com/keowakpark
No major changes for the folk festival. Dance stage remains at Dutton Street one more year.
Will coordinate street closing and parking rules as event get closer.
JoAnn Marcos, from the Lowell National Park Service, will the Folk Festival from the NPS perspective.
Looking for volunteers – 4hrs commitment. See lowellfolkfestival.org for more info.
Street closings begin Friday afternoon. All vehicles inside barriers are screened for security.
Market Street Garage access is open via Central Street same as previous years.
Lower Pawtucket Canal will be drawn down until September for he Central Street bridge project.
Q: Can we clean up the canals while they’re drawn down?
A: Hard to get access. Canal water Cleaners group is active I tis area.
Enell has been better lately about being a partner with the city, for example cooperating with Point of Light celebration.
Call new Lowell syringe coordinator if you see a syringe – don’t try to pick it up yourself.
What’s up with the adopt-a-island program? The city has re-invigorated the program and Manager’s office is actively trying to coordinate with the adopters.
Park area in front of the Roy garage looks really great!
Q: Any news on Athenian Corner project?
A: Its moving forward but slowly.
New BBQ restaurant moving in where Lui Lui had been.
Caren Cirillo running for re-election.
Meeting Adjourns at 8:07.