Approval of March Minutes:
Moved by Carolyn; Second by Jack
$287.29 + $40 deposits
Discussed recent incidents downtown. Largely typical bar stuff.
Report graffiti to Mike Demaras at Neighborhood Services email@example.com or via e-gov http://www.egovlink.com/lowell/action.asp
Councilor John Leahy, Public Safety Chair:
Increases to staff on Police Department and Fire Department. City Manager and the Police Chief are in Washington, D.C. today receiving a reward for Community Policing.
Paul A: How is the Hamilton Canal District work coming?
- Leahy: Contractors are being picked; hopefully the courthouse and the planned buildings start soon.
Stephen G: Will we get sidewalk repairs done before Folk Festival?
- Leahy: We would like to.
Jack M: Can we do anything about traffic light enforcement? Can we get cameras?
- Leahy: We haven’t discussed that in particular. We’ve talked about cameras in general.
Sam L: The downtown lights have cameras in them. Can’t we just use those?
- Leahy: We are continually looking into this sort of thing.
Sam L: What does the city offer for teens to do in the summer?
- Leahy: They can help work with the Parks Department.
(Councilor Bill Samaras enters; discussion on the panhandling and loitering laws)
Reminder to contact Nick Navin, Parking and Garages Dept. with any questions: http://www.lowellma.gov/parking/Pages/default.aspx
Visit www.diylowell.org to submit ideas. Summit looks like it will be July 14.
http://www.cultureiscool.org/downtown-lowell-first-thursdays now through September.
Sam L: Can we make it legal to get to Western Avenue Studios from Dutton Street?
- Samaras: It would cost $2M to build a pedestrian bridge over that.
Adjournment: 8:32 PM