7 PM, LTC
Meeting called to order at: 7:02.
Approval of minutes
Approval of June 2019 minutes: Made by Sam and 2nd by Carolyn; approved.
$840.29 balance in account.
(No police report this month)
Michael Round, Co-chair of the Kinetic Sculpture Race, will talk about the race, and take questions.
- 9/21/2019, all day event; streets close around 8:00 am.
- Opening ceremony at 11:00; race starts at 11:30.
- starts on Market St — continues on Middle St toward Tsongas Arena mud pit, then across river through UML north campus and into the neighborhood. Then on to heritage state park to prepare for the river portion.
- At 1:00 or 1:30 the race will enter the river. Then race back to end the race back on Market Street.
- After party and awards at Warp & Weft.
- Lots of businesses have been very supportive of the race.
- Race is just under 6 miles; looking to extend in future years.
- Looking for volunteers and donations.
- Access to Roy Garage via Middle Street ONLY.
Henri Marchand, Lowell’s Director of Cultural Events, will speak about upcoming events in the city.
- New canalway cultural district guide pamphlet
- New downtown dining guide
- Kerouac festival schedule has been published
- New public art projects
- New sculpture in Hamilton Canal District
- New murals on retaining walls at JFK plaza
- H.firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to mailing list
- Go to likelowell.com for calendar of events; public can post events
- Concrete games available to play at keoac park.
- Blues & brewes festival at JFK plaza
- Lowell Irish festival at the Auditorium and electric car event at heritage park.
- City of Lights parade on Nov 30th.
Andres Gonzales, Lowell Health Dept, Syringe Collection Programmer Coordinator introduction.
- Operating since late April. Call if you spot a syringe laying around.
- Working with canal cleaners, schools, youth groups, other city agencies, etc…
- Will pre-clean areas used for various events such as outdoor movie nights, street races, etc…
- DO NOT pick up syringes yourself or throw syringes in the trash — call for a pickup.
- Doesn’t only pick up syringes, but also dispenses information on resources for addicts.
- Over 5000 syringes collected in first 5 months of program.
- After hours, syringes are picked up by Trinity Ambulance service.
Joanne Marcos of LNHP
- National Park Lands Day 9/28/2019 is a big cleanup of park grounds and canals.
- Working with City to clean up canals, both of trash and invasive species, etc.
- 8/25 was 400th anniversary of first landing of enslaved Africans.
- Working on series of programs to mark anniversary of 19th amendment, Woman’s voting rights. 2020 is 100th anniversary.
Councilor Leahy: Central Street jersey barriers will come down for the winter, will try again to start the work in the spring.
- 8/27 will be ribbon cutting on new garage in Hamilton District.
- Wynn development will start on two new building next year.
- City taking steps to deal with traffic issues that will be caused by all the simultaneous construction that will be happening over the next few years.
- City council will be taking up the decision to change the voting system. Presentation on the options given at senior center is available for viewing on the city website.
- LDNA HOA Meeting planned for September – will send out doodle poll for date.
- City is looking for people to join a monument committee.
- City is looking for people to participate in re-constituted CrimeStoppers program.
Meeting Adjourns at 8:12.