7 PM, LTC
Meeting called to order at: 7:03.
Approval of minutes
Approval of June minutes; Motion made and 2nd from floor; approved.
Capt. Barry Golner – A Sector Commander
- 5 Agg assaults; all resulted in arrests or court summons for perpetrator.
- 4 car breaks; all involved unlocked vehicles – LOCK YOUR CARS!
- 8 Disorderlies – many involved fights involving LHS students.
- Issue of homeless sleeping in doorways seems to be increasing.
- LPD works with shelter, hospital, etc. to try to direct people to services.
- New Mental Health Court as well as special drug court has been created to help.
- Crime is way down, but calls for service is way up. Mostly “social” issues that police are called on as the only available 24/7 agency.
- Cuts to social service agencies need to be reversed so services are available.
- Should we be worried about shooting right on Merrimack Street in early evening?
- It was an isolated incident. The two parties new each other and had a dispute. Suspect surrendered to police within 24hrs.
- Is organized crime a problem in the city?
- Not like it used to be. Mainly involves various ethnic groups, e.g., gambling rings, etc.
$775.00 balance, according to interim treasurer Carolyn. Everyone is invited to make a voluntary $10 membership contribution.
Special Guest: Lowell Police Superintendent Raymond “Kelly” Richardson
The Superintendent introduced himself and spoke briefly during the earlier police presentation.
Special Guest: Claire Ricker of Lowell DPD
- Chief design planner and senior planner for Hamilton canal district master plan area
- 13 acre site.
- Winn Companies has a signed agreement to develop parcels 8 &9.
- Rental “workforce” Housing (20/80/20 income mix)
- Air bridge between 2 buildings will have additional housing units.
- MEPA process dictates environmental standards
- Justice Center with 7 courts and registry of deeds will open in January 2020.
- New parking garage has some innovative and exciting exterior design features.
- 930 parking spaces
- It will have electric charging stations and bike storage.
- Pedestrian access to adjacent canal is anticipated.
- Construction will begin in spring of 2019.
- City website has a tab with links to info on all construction projects.
- Lord Overpass is at 100% design. 3 year construction with opening in 2022.
- Construction will overlap with Central Street bridge project for about 1yr.
- Natasha is new transportation engineer.
- Toby Marks is new parking director.
- LDNA logo is on storage container at Kerouac Park following donation.
- Future guests?
- Bring in another update on bridge closings as it gets closer to the time.
- Fire Dept.
- New business owners. Maybe get update on Market St. Hotel.
- Ask for representative from license commission to com speak to us.
- Steve Stowell form Historic Commission.
Meeting Adjourns at 8:28.