7 PM, LTC
Jack Moynihan (arrived 7:41)
Meeting called to order at: 7:04.
Deputy Sup. Barry Golner
- City now has 3 sectors
- Up to 10 walking routes downtown
- New ATV coming to downtown
Capt. Kennedy – New ‘A’ Sector Commander
- Relatively light crime this period.
- Smokehouse comes up a lot. Is it a problem establishment?
- It attracts a tough demographic, but things have been quieter the last year or so.
- A lot of the problem is the crowds that congregate when bars close. Working on a solution for the Uber/Lyft pick-up issue.
- How much of the car vandalism happens in city garages?
- Very little. It was a much bigger problem years ago, but not lately.
- What’s the status of legal tools to deal with Homeless issues?
- District Court under Judge Fords has established a special “mental health court” where people with emotional/medical issues can be diverted for assistance to stop the revolving door of chronic petty offences. Modeled after successful program in Cambridge.
- City has 11 homeless encampments, and as many as 40 during warmer weather.
- Sheriff’s office is working on a pilot program to offer more programming and services.
Discussion of pedestrian safety in Downtown Lowell
- Dutton & Market intersection is a bad spot
for pedestrians. Many people are afraid
to cross the street and have nearly been hit.
Only actual accidents are reported – not near misses!
- Traffic engineer is now looking at reverting back to dedicated pedestrian cycle.
- Line striping needs good weather. Various funding sources for painting and signs, etc.
- In the winter the lack of shoveling is a real problem on sidewalks.
- Bicycles on sidewalks downtown are an issue.
- Traffic engineer is working on improving bike lanes throughout city.
Approval of minutes
Approval of Oct and Nov 2018 minutes: Approved.
$705.20 balance in account. We donated $100 to Kerouac park.
Time for LDNA Dues. Suggested donation is $10.
Annual election of LDNA officers
Slate of Jack, Carolyn and Sam are reelected by unanimous vote.
Meeting Adjourns at 8:19.