7 PM, LTC
Meeting called to order at: 7:03.
Approval of minutes
Approval of March and April minutes; Motion by Carolyn, 2nd by Jack.
Sgt. Jose Ramirez – A Sector patrol supervisor on early night shift
- Agg assault on 30 Middlesx St: knife incident arrest made.
- Agg assault on Central St – arrests made.
- Other Burglaries and robberies still under investigation.
- Situation at TD Bank is worst in memory.
- Extra officer is on foot patrol in area.
- Need to update email links on website.
- Not much interest when people come to front desk to report issues
- Better to go directly to criminal investigation division or other units.
- LDNA board can forward comments to Sgt Ramirez directly.
- Does LPD have jurisdiction between new Courthouse and walking path. More incidents of drinking near Jackson St end near bridge.
- Yes, shared with LNHP. Will look into it.
$775.00 balance, according to interim treasurer Carolyn. Everyone is invited to make a voluntary $10 membership contribution.
Special Guest: City Manager Eileen Donoghue
- Honored to be here; one of the best cities in the country. Over 20 years representing the city, but Manager job is a new perspective.
- New budget: Met with all Dept. heads, made $1M in cuts from preliminary draft.
- Public hearing on choosing new Police Chief. Residents’ comments are welcome.
- In process of implementing new cannabis laws. Takes effect July 1st. Possible dispensary locations are all on outskirts of city; none are downtown. Required to have minimum of 5 licensees (based on qty of package store licenses.)
- Talked to Chief Taylor and acting chief Webb and Deputy Richardson about increased police visibility downtown.
- Also working with Planning dept. and DPW about improving conditions downtown. Flowers are back – makes a real difference downtown. Kids summer jobs will water the flowers.
- If police or other departments aren’t responsive then call manager’s office directly.
- When is construction allowed?
- 7am – 6pm, except by special permit.
- Why is the parking garages being made to pay for themselves when trash is subsidized and yet downtown residents don’t benefit at all.
- Good point. Trash & recycling contracts expire in Dec.
- Recycling is no longer free for the city; and city-wide recycling participation isn’t great.
- Condo associations were locked into buying spaces and have no recourse when rates rise.
- That was an arm-length agreement that was entered into by both parties long ago.
- What can be done to improve Downton lighting (e.g. brightness)
- Working on it with planning & development.
- Can we repair broken benches and steps by the train locomotive? Also crumbling plaza and dead trees in front of Roy Garage?
- Will look into it. Also repairs needed to area on Prescott Street.
- Adopt an island program needs to be flowed-up on. Many areas not being maintained.
- Need to review entire program.
- Vacuum truck makes a big difference. Kudos!
Special Guest: JoAnn Marcos of the LNHP
- 32nd year; Folk Fest is last full weekend of July.
- In charge of volunteers; volunteers are needed!
- Volunteers are absolutely essential. Only need to commit 4hrs.
- Many types of volunteers; donation bucket brigade, ice & water delivery; t-shirt sales, recycling, inside and outside jobs.
- All food vendors are 401c3 organizations raising money for good causes.
- All the food vendor workers are volunteers.
- Roads will be blocked again this year.
- Last year for Dutton Dance Stage location; new location TBD. Maybe by Tsongas. Suggestions?
- Park has some summer kids workers who can do cleanups. Tell JoAnn if a park area needs cleaning up.
- Pavement between Dutton st pavilion and canal place is all broken up and won’t accommodate golf cart traffic.
- Will look into it
- Will Roy Garage we accessible?
- Do you know how many people come to the fest by train?
- Don’t know
- Does park own Northern Canal Walkway?
- It’s open now. But it needs to be closed depending on flow for safety.
- It will be closed once work starts on the bridge.
- Upcoming meeting 7/18 at 6:30 at LTC on charter review and elections issues.
- LDNA to donate $100 to Kerouac park renovation effort. Motion made and 2nd.
- No July meeting; Next meeting in August.
Meeting Adjourns at 8:27.